Carbon Monoxide

Select rooms may be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, tasteless and non-irritating gas created when fuels (e.g. gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, and wood) are burned. Improperly vented appliances used for heating and cooking can be sources of carbon monoxide. The State of Massachusetts requires residential buildings with carbon monoxide-generating appliances to be equipped with carbon monoxide detection and alarms.

Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, runny nose, sore eyes, and are often described as "flu-like symptoms." Higher level exposure symptoms may include dizziness, drowsiness, and vomiting. Extreme exposure to carbon monoxide can result in unconsciousness or death.

Carbon Monoxide Alarm Instructions

The carbon monoxide alarm will sound four quick "chirps" every few seconds, indicating that carbon monoxide is present.

  1. Everyone in the immediate area of the alarm must immediately move to fresh air outdoors. If anyone is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 or Harvard University Police Department, 617-495-1212.

  2. If there are no symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call the University Operations Center, 617-495-5560, for instructions and assistance. Remain outside until directed by the Police or Fire Department that it is safe to re-enter the building.