Indivisible Full Courses

Ordinarily, indivisible courses may not be divided with credit. Credit for the course may be suspended until the student has completed the second term.

Suspending Credit
Should a student leave an indivisible course at the end of one term, credit for the first half may be suspended. (Divisible full courses may be divided with credit, but not suspended. See “Divisible Full Courses” above.) The deadline for filing a “suspend” petition is the seventh Monday of the subsequent term. A student may take the second half of the course at a later time and petition to combine both grades for one grade by the seventh Monday of the term in which the course will be completed. (See “Combining Two Halves of a Full Course” below.)

Any suspended course that has not been completed or divided for credit by the seventh Monday of the student’s final term in residence will automatically be converted to “Withdraw” by the Registrar.

Combining Two Halves of a Full Course
A student who wishes to combine for full course credit (and a single grade) one half of a full course with the other half taken in another academic year must file a special “combine” petition with the Registrar’s Office. This petition requires the signature of the instructor of the course, the Allston Burr Resident Dean, and the concentration or freshman adviser. The petition must be filed by the seventh Monday of the term in which the student is enrolled in the course for the second time. Late or retroactive petitions to combine cannot be accepted by the Registrar without Administrative Board approval.

When the halves of a full year course have been combined, the final grade is a cumulative one. The transcript notation for the first half of the course is changed to SUS (suspended).

Leaving an Indivisible Course at Midyear Because of Absence from the College
When a student who is enrolled in an indivisible course leaves the College at midyear, the Registrar automatically suspends the course if the student has earned a passing midyear grade. If the student has a failing midyear grade, he or she will be withdrawn from the course; however, the failing grade makes the student’s record for that term unsatisfactory, and the student will be subject to academic review by the Administrative Board. Upon return to the College, the student may change an automatic suspend to a withdraw.

Changing Letter-Graded or Pass/Fail Status
The fall term grading status of a full course may be changed up to the fifth Monday of the fall term. A student who is enrolled in a full course during the fall term may change the grading status of that course for the spring term by filing an appropriate change-of-grade petition by the fifth Monday of the spring term. Pass/Fail grading status always requires the instructor’s permission. When the grading status of a full course is different for the fall and spring terms, the midyear grade will appear on the transcript as a fall term, half-course grade.